Returning to Visiting

Home Forums Scheme Administration Returning to Visiting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

April 27, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Hi All

As an action from the NEF, I am setting up a topic for schemes to discuss all things returning to visiting, sharing of ideas, thoughts on risk and any questions you might have that other scheme managers can help with.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by moaja.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by moaja.

Janet Hyndman
    Participant

April 28, 2021 at 10:20 am

Hi Sherry

Break in visiting – supporting new ICVs – disruption in recruitment

Returning to visits is great, and welcomed by all.  The downside of the break is the lack of opportunity to train newest ICVs and support them with their first visits, and also a bit of rustiness in the experienced ICVs – a refresher course is needed for some of ours.  A couple of experienced ICVs have left to help with the Covid-19 vaccination programme.  The pause has  disrupted our planned recruitment this year, which is delayed.

Claire Taylor
    Participant

April 30, 2021 at 9:12 am

These are my concerns (which may become risks) in relation to resilience of the Scheme and the QAF accreditation:

ICV’s – A review of the numbers of willing and able volunteers (I have only had 25% of the Scheme engaging with me over the last 10 months)

Re-training for returning ICV’s to support a return to physical duties

Recruiting into the Scheme in sufficient numbers and from diverse communities

Training the new members

Existing Panel-Co-ordinators supporting the new volunteers with on site training if they come through in high numbers

Nia Scourfield
    Participant

June 2, 2021 at 9:51 am

Hi all, I hope you’re all well – not sure if I am posting the wrong area but does anyone have any health and safety policy documents for their scheme? and has anyone added any extra measures for returning to visiting following C19? I would be grateful if you could share anything with me. Thanks so much – Nia (South Wales)

Sherry Ralph
    Participant

June 3, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Hi Nia

If you have a look in the Covid section of the members library there are a few documents that schemes have recently uploaded which may be of use, I will also pop this topic in the newsletter this week.

Thanks

Sherry

Nicola Warren
    Participant

June 9, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Hi all,

Could you advise how or if you are providing shadow visits in custody for new ICVs please?

Thanks

Nic

Liz Kelly
    Participant

June 11, 2021 at 11:23 am

Hi Nicola

In Derbyshire we don’t do shadow visits for our new ICVs.  I would assign a new ICV with a mentor (an experienced ICV) and the new recruit would take the back role on the visit; taking notes, observing and hopefully learning.  The new recruit would then visit with other experienced ICV over the 6 month probationary period; this is so the new ICV can experience different styles from different visitors and when they feel confident the new ICV can gradually start taking a more active part on the visits.

Hope this helps.. as I am sure shadowing and having 3 ICVs on a visit will be quite tricky right now.

Liz Kelly.

Nicola Warren
    Participant

June 14, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Kelly, you’ve said exactly what I had planned to do so it’s good to know I was the right lines!

Thanks again

Nic

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu